This blog post provides background on this special day of remembrance and offers some information on some Albuquerque Veterans’ Day events.
Origins and Observance of Veterans’ Day
Veterans’ Day commemorates the anniversary of the signing of the armistice, which ended World War I. The armistice was signed on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 to end World War I. In 1926, the U.S. Congress recognized it as a special day of prayer and thanksgiving, and it finally became a legal holiday in 1938.
Now, Veterans’ Day is a day for all veterans of all wars with parades and church services. It is also a time to raise our American flags. Some schools and businesses take the day off in respect of this special holiday.
Albuquerque Veterans’ Day Events
There are a number of events, parades, and offers for veterans on Veterans’ Day this year in Albuquerque:
- The New Mexico Veteran’s Art Show that starts on November 9th and runs for consecutive weekends for most of November.
- The Veterans’ Parade and Memorial Ceremony starts at 9am on November 11th at Bullhead Park.
- The Veterans’ Day events at the University of New Mexico will be held on November 9th and November 11th to honor veterans.
- There will be a Veterans’ Day parade at the Corrales Catholic Church on November 11th and another parade in Santa Fe also on November 11th.
- A special ceremony will take place at the Rio Rancho Veterans Memorial on November 1a at 11 a.m. at Veterans Park.
- There are many restaurants and retailers that are offering free or discounted items on Veterans’ Day to show their appreciation for veterans.
Flowers for Veterans’ Day Celebrations in Albuquerque
At all of our Albuquerque florist locations, we are offering a wide range of patriotic flower arrangements in traditional and contemporary styles to use as gifts, centerpieces, float décor and memorials. Our talented floral design team can also custom design anything for Veterans’ Day to suit your budget and style.
From all of us at Peoples Flower Shops, we want to extend out thanks and appreciation to veterans everywhere.