National Grandparents Day is here and it’s time to celebrate those family members who cherish your kids and most likely shower them with love and gifts as well as provide an excellent mentor for them to look up to. Your parents loved you but they also provide a special love for your children that should be celebrate this weekend and every day for that matter!
Our blog post this week is dedicated to Grandparents Day, including its history, purpose, and gift ideas. Whether near or far, grandparents can enjoy a special day thanks to you, the family, and us at Peoples Flower Shops.
How Grandparents Day Got Started and Why
National Grandparent’s Day was the idea of Marian Lucille Herndon McQuade. She decided in 1970 in her home state of West Virginia that grandparents needed a special day just like mothers and fathers already had. She campaigned and got the media to help spread the news that it should become a national day, which came about in 1978. Now, it’s celebrated on the first Sunday after Labor Day.
McQuade believed that grandparents should be honored and celebrated for what they bring to families and the community, including guidance, experience, and knowledge. It’s a great day to stop and show your appreciation for everything they do and offer every day.
Ideas for Celebrating Grandparents Day
If you can get together, try these ideas:
- Enjoy a meal together.
- Take in a show or some type of entertainment.
- Visit the old neighborhood.
- Reminisce over old photographs.
- Sit down and talk about family history and stories.
- Go shopping.
- Get pampered.
- Host a family reunion.
- Come over and take care of some home repairs or projects.
- Have the kids make homemade cards or a craft like a frame or garden stone.
- Take the time to write a letter to let them know how much you love them.
- Call or Skype them.
- Send a special gift like flowers, flower arrangement, plant, or gift basket.
If you order anything from our website or store, we can arrange for same day local or national delivery to make sure your gift gets there on time. Call us now to get started to ensure your gift arrives for Grandparents Day.