National Hispanic Heritage Month is September 15th through October 15th. This blog post provides information about this special celebration and offers some suggestions on ways to celebrate it.
What is National Hispanic Heritage Month?
National Hispanic Heritage Month is a way to recognize those of Hispanic and Latin American descent who have contributed to the growth and development of these cultures within the United States and provided a fine example of leadership, hard work, service, community and family. This is also a time to recognize many of the traditions and customs that have been adopted within the United States and add to the rich fiber of the community, including the Albuquerque, New Mexico area.
The month-long celebration began in 1968 and was started on September 15th because this is the anniversary of the independence of five countries while the month long celebration also includes the independence of other Latin American countries, including all in total, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua, Guatemala, Mexico, Chile and Belize.
The theme this year is “Hispanics: Serving and Leading Our Nation with Pride and Honor.”
National Hispanic Heritage Month Events in Albuquerque
While the kick-off celebration for National Hispanic Heritage Month in Albuquerque already occurred on September 6th, there are other ways to celebrate this heritage month.
- 2 p.m. on Sept. 19 — Charreada (Mexican rodeo), Tingley Coliseum at Expo New Mexico, 300 San Pedro NE. Tickets are $15, $24 and $34.
- 11:30 a.m. on Sept. 28 — Albuquerque Hispano Chamber of Commerce Hispanic Heritage Luncheon, Hyatt Regency, 330 Tijeras SW. Tickets, $30 per person or $300 for a table for 10.
- Oct. 1-3 — Production of La Casa de Bernarda Alba, a play by Federico Garcia Lorca, at the National Hispanic Cultural Center, 1701 Fourth SW. Tickets are $15, $20 and $25.
- 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Oct. 9-10 — Hispanic Art Expo, Hard Rock Hotel & Casino, 11000 Broadway SE. Free.
- Noon to 6 p.m. on Oct. 10 — National Hispanic Cultural Center, 10th anniversary parade and public opening of the Torreon, 1701 Fourth SW. Parade starts at noon on Central and Fourth SW and ends at the Cultural Center.
- 6 p.m. on Oct. 15 — De Colores Leadership Banquet, Hard Rock Hotel & Casino, 11000 Broadway SE. Tickets are $75 per person or $750 for
table of 10.
Peoples Flower Shops Offers Flowers for National Hispanic Heritage Month Celebrations
Whether you are hosting a small family celebration or creating a large event for National Hispanic Heritage Month, consider us your source for flower arrangements and floral centerpieces as well as floral bouquets and other artistic floral designs. We also offer vibrant flower arrangements that you can send to a loved one to celebrate this special heritage month.